Declaration of Principles
Israel will announce its intention to redeploy along the
international border, in accordance with United Nations Security
Council Resolution 425.
The government of Israel and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) will
take all of the necessary steps to assure maximal security for the
residents of the northern Galilee.
Plan of Action
Israel will announce a defined timetable (of up to six months) for
completing its redeployment.
1. Israel regards the Lebanese government as fully responsible for
maintaining a peaceful border region and preventing any hostile
actions against Israel from within Lebanese territory.
2. Israel sees itself committed to the well-being of the soldiers
of the Southern Lebanese Army (SLA) and will undertake various
steps to find them a suitable solution - whether within or outside
Lebanon. Eventually, Israel will need to find an arrangement
outside of Lebanon for several hundred SLA soldiers.
3. The IDF will redeploy to the south of the international border.
The redeployment will include erecting an electronic fence,
minefields, patrols, paving roads and building military outposts in
order to prevent infiltration into Israel from Lebanese
4. The government of Israel, in coordination with the IDF, will
work to improve the civil defense system for the residents of the
5. The government of Israel will direct resources for strengthening
the infrastructure and economic development of the northern Galilee
6. During the period of redeployment, a serious effort will be made
to reach agreements and understandings with the government of
Lebanon and local entities in southern Lebanon in order to
establish routine life and security arrangements along the
7. During the period of redeployment, an option may develop for
involving a third party in the efforts to reach understandings with
the government of Lebanon and to advance security
8. In the event that hostilities occur on the northern border,
Israel reserves for itself the complete freedom to act in any place
and with any of the means at its disposal in order to secure peace
for its citizens.
9. Israel will make clear to the governments of Syria and Iran that
we will not hesitate to demand that they take responsibility for
the results of any hostile involvement on their part in the area,
with all that this implies.
1. The redeployment will allow Israel greater room for maneuvering
on both the political and military levels.
2. On the military level, the IDF will be able to avoid unnecessary
engagements with Hizbullah ambushes and explosives. Israeli
soldiers will no longer be exposed to needless danger, and
casualties and tragedies will be prevented.
3. The IDF will be able to act freely vis-a-vis the sovereign and
responsible party - the government of Lebanon. If we are attacked,
the IDF will be able to respond with all of its means, in any place
and against any entity or infrastructure.
4. On the political level, the status of the political process with
Syria will no longer be linked to the IDF's presence in Lebanon.
Israel will no longer be represented as the occupier of southern
Lebanon. Hizbullah or any other hostile entity will no longer be
able to use the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon as an excuse
for their acts of violence before the international
5. In a situation whereby the State of Israel enjoys freedom of
military and political action, there will be less to gain from
disturbing the lives of the residents of the northern Galilee and a
better chance to bring Syria and Lebanon back to the negotiating